Cope and Heal After Trauma
Last Updated July 28, 2022
Trauma is our response to any event that feels directly or indirectly threatening — physically or emotionally. There are many types of trauma: acute (based on a specific event, like the death of a loved one), complex (related to a person’s past, like childhood emotional abuse), and intergenerational (historic, like racism or related to war).
Free Training from SupportLinc
You can learn about the types of trauma and self-care techniques by watching the Self-Care in the Face of Collective Trauma: Current Events webinar hosted by SupportLinc, our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provider. Check out the webinar workbook for an overview of what you’ll learn.
10 Ways to Practice Self-Care
Self-care means something different for everyone. The training from SupportLinc provides a lot of ideas for self-care techniques to help you ground yourself as you begin your healing journey.
Here are 10 ways to get started on self-care:
- Talk to a licensed counselor from the EAP. Get a professional referral and up to five sessions of face-to-face counseling, at no cost to you.
- Take a 10-minute break and practice breathing exercises.
- Try a mindfulness or meditation exercise from SupportLinc.
- Drink water.
- Watch a light-hearted TV show or movie.
- Do physical activity.
- Volunteer in something you’re interested in.
- De-clutter your space.
- Read a book.
- Set boundaries wherever you need them in your life.