Preventive care is vital to maintaining good health, managing risk factors and detecting any health problems early. Even during a pandemic, it’s important for you and your family to get routine health care and vaccinations. Your in-network preventive care — including annual physicals and age-appropriate health screenings — is 100% covered by your RRD medical option.
Preventive Care During Covid-19
Many health care facilities and providers have modified how they provide care during the pandemic. Contact your provider to see if he/she is seeing patients for preventive checkups. Be sure to ask if it’s prudent for you to visit the doctor’s office based on your personal situation and where you live.
Here are some recommended preventive care services to help keep your health on track:
- Annual flu vaccine — According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it’s the best way to protect you and your family from the flu.
- Body mass index (BMI) assessment — Your BMI is an estimate of your body fat based on your height and weight. It’s a quick way to learn if you are at a healthy weight.
- Blood pressure control — Keeping your blood pressure in check is an important part of maintaining good health.
- Cancer screenings — The earlier you can identify cancer, the more treatable it is. Talk with your doctor about what screenings (breast, cervical, prostate, etc.) are recommended for you based on your family history, genetics and other risk factors.
GUIDELINES FOR PEOPLE WITH DIABETES
- Eye exam — The American Diabetes Association recommends an annual dilated eye exam with an eye care provider to look for problems caused by diabetes — even if you don’t have any symptoms.
- Hemoglobin A1C testing and control — This blood test measures average blood sugar over a period of time and may help detect complications of diabetes.