How to Cut Your Health Care Costs
Last Updated January 27, 2023
No doubt about it — health care can be expensive. Fortunately, there are things you can do to help minimize your costs. Here are five ideas to get you started.
1. Get preventive care.
Staying healthy is the surest way to save on health care. Preventive care is vital to maintaining good health, managing risk factors and detecting any problems early — before they become more expensive and difficult to treat. Preventive care is 100% covered by your RRD medical option when you see an in-network provider.
2. Use virtual visits for non-emergency care.
Virtual visits are a convenient and cost-effective option when you need care for a non-emergency medical condition (allergies, sinus and ear infections, pink eye, urinary tract infections, etc.). You can access the service anywhere and anytime.
- BCBSIL — Visit MDLIVE® or call 1-888-676-4204. Talk to a registered nurse at 1-800-299-0274.
3. Be tobacco free.
If you’re a smoker, you might be spending thousands of dollars a year on cigarettes. Factor in the cost of smoking-related illness (more than $300 billion a year in the U.S., according to the CDC) and the tobacco surcharge (if you enroll in an RRD medical option and don’t pledge to participate in RRD’s tobacco cessation program), and your costs are even higher!
- Contact UBreathe at 1-888-882-5462 for help to kick the habit.
4. Compare your costs.
Health insurers are making it easier for their members to estimate and compare costs before receiving services. Use the tools and resources provided by RRD’s medical and prescription drug vendors to find in-network providers and estimate your costs.
- BCBSIL — Access Provider Finder® or call a Benefits Value Advisor at 1-800-537-9765.
- CVS Caremark — Check drug costs and find more ways to save or download the CVS Caremark app.
5. Manage chronic conditions.
Chronic health conditions like type 2 diabetes, obesity, asthma, high blood pressure and heart disease are the most common — and costly — of all health problems. Work with your doctor to manage any chronic health conditions you might have and take advantage of condition management programs offered as part of your RRD benefits.
- BCBSIL — Visit BCBSIL or call 1-800-537-9765.
- Livongo for Hypertension — Call 1-800-945-4355 or visit Livongo.
- Transform Diabetes Care from CVS Health — Call 1-800-348-5238 or visit caremark.com.
- Twin Health (for type 2 diabetes) — You’ll be contacted by Twin Health if you are eligible.